Presbyterian Mo-Ranch Assembly is spread over 500 beautiful, Texas Hill Country acres along the spring-fed Guadalupe River 11 miles west of Hunt.
For most visitors, the first glimpse of Mo-Ranch is from the highway bridge when driving in from Hunt. This is our riverfront swimming area on the Guadalupe River.
The ornate entrance gate was designed by craftsman Erich Riesel in memory of Dan Moran, under whose ownership many of the historic ranch structures were built in the 1930s and 40s.
The heart of the ranch is Manor House, built in 1929 by Texas oilman O.R. Seagraves and improved in the 1930s by Moran, who was CEO of Conoco.
Manor House’s roomy and comfortable interior and convenient location make it popular with families and small groups.
Moran had the swimming pool adjacent to Manor House constructed in 1937. It is lined with over 2 million colorful tiles, and also features hand-painted San Jose tiles from San Antonio.
Guest Lodge was built for Moran’s friends, family and co-workers in 1938. With a large kitchen and located on the water front, it is still a mainstay of Mo-Ranch hospitality.
A unique, double-yoke fireplace, colorful San Jose tiles, wrought-iron lighting fixtures, and wooden beams and railings are distinctive features of Guest Lodge.
Thousands of guests have ridden the 38-foot-high River Slide into the Guadalupe, including hardy folks who participate in the Polar Bear Challenge to raise funds for local charities.
A beautiful iron gate and fixtures frame the entrance to the Chapel, which Moran, a Roman Catholic, constructed in 1941.
The Chapel’s most notable features are the stained-glass windows, made in France in the 1840s and found by Moran in a Shreveport, La., church basement.
Moran loved roller skating and had the Main Auditorium built as a skating rink and gymnasium in 1941. It holds up to 500 persons for conferences, church retreats and other groups.
In 1943 Moran built the Loma Linda Lodge as dormitory-type housing for youth groups. It is decorated with hand-painted tiles illustrating themes about Boy Scout and Girl Scout activities.
The Catwalk across Wilson Draw is constructed of oilfield pipe, which is also featured, both as framework and painted rafters, in other Dan Moran-era buildings.
Uphill a short distance from Loma Linda is Inspiration Point with remarkable views of the Guadalupe River valley.
Toward the top of Nicklos Hill is the Chapel on the Hill, popular for worship services and weddings.
Nicklos Place, the former Hill Country getaway of one of Dan Moran’s closest friends and coworkers, Ernest Nicklos, sits atop the highest point at Mo-Ranch.
With its seclusion, large kitchen and gracious accommodations, Nicklos Place is very popular with families and retreat groups.
The Labyrinth, accessed over the former lower-water bridge, is a walking path for prayer and meditation modeled on the 13th-century labyrinth at Chartres Cathedral in France.
Mo-Ranch’s more modern housing includes the Flato and Wynne lodges, which accommodate guests in hotel-type rooms with central meeting area. All Mo-Ranch housing is air-conditioned.
Mouth-watering meals are served in the spacious King Dining Hall. Catering is also available through the Dining Services department.
A state-of-the art Ropes Course, with both high and low elements, is part of the Environmental Leadership Program at Mo-Ranch.
Our tallest and wildest High Element on the Ropes Course, the Big Gulp gives participants a chance to swing from as high as fifty feet in the air!
The water is so clear that canoes appear to float above the Guadalupe, which is fed by springs a few miles upriver from Mo-Ranch.
Youth ride the chute at the Rapids, one of Mo-Ranch's most popular swimming areas for all ages.
Many miles from large cities—the Hill Country sky at Mo-Ranch is filled with stars and the Milky Way.