Fall Photography Weekend
October 16-18, 2020
- In a beautiful photographer’s paradise on the North Fork of the Guadalupe River with hiking trails and habitats including aquatic, riparian areas, grasslands, oak-juniper woodlands and limestone hills.
- Explore the fascinating architecture of the many buildings on the ranch.
- Participants can capture wildlife, such as birds, in different feeding and travel patterns.
- Weather permitting, we will also try to capture some beautiful sunrise photos and for those willing to stay up late, we’ll show you how to create great images of the beautiful night sky and Milky Way.
- Attend/take the workshop with a photographer friend and you can share a room to reduce costs!
Ben Davis is a fine art documentary photographer. His work investigates the social experience of architecture by documenting the historic structures that have accommodated cultural rituals for over 150 years in Texas.
Ben uses traditional photographic methods as well as contemporary digital technology. His work is included in the Wittliff Collections at Texas State University.
He was the recipient of the Priddy Scholarship at the University of North Texas in 2012 and the CVAD Student Project Award Fund in 2013. Ben’s work has been exhibited in venues across the United States including: Photo Center NW in Washington and The Center for Fine Art Photography in Colorado. Davis is currently working in conjunction with the Gregg County Historical Association to document antebellum homes in East Texas for a book publication.
Ben was born in Houston in 1981. In 2007, he moved to Kerrville to attend Schreiner University where he received a B.A. in Creative Arts. He currently lives in Fort Worth Texas where he graduated from the University of North Texas with an MFA in Photography in May of 2014 and an MS-LS (Library Science) in Archival Studies and Imaging Technology in 2017.
Ben makes frequent excursions to East Texas to document the region’s remaining vernacular buildings and to maintain relationships with friends and family.
We are working on updating the schedule for our 2020 Fall Photography Weekend. Please peruse the schedule below, from 2019, as an example of some of the activities available for this retreat.
Cost and Housing
Our all-inclusive, hotel-style lodging accommodations will be available for reservation. After receiving your registration, a member of our team will contact you within seven business days to confirm additional details such as housing requests (roommates), dietary needs, t-shirt sizes, etc.
Single Occupancy Room: $605
Double Occupancy Room: $480
Commuter rate: $315 (includes tuition, lunches and dinners; excludes lodging accommodations).
Promotional guidelines are as follows:
- Participants must be registered within two weeks of the retreat’s start date.
- Participants must list the person’s full name who referred them to the conference in the “additional notes” section of the online registration form. If registering by phone, the participant must register with Echo Truax and clearly state the person’s name who referred them to the conference.
- Referral credits are applied once the referred family has signed up and charges are processed.
Questions? We’re happy to help! Contact us at 1.800.460.4401 ext. 246 or email@example.com.
Full refund minus $75.00 administrative fee per person will be made if cancellation is received more than 30 days prior to the conference. There are generally no refunds for cancellations received on or after 30 days prior to the start of the event.
Camera and manual (Not all cameras are the same and this will help if you have questions).
Tripod—if you have one (Please rent/borrow/bring if at all possible).
Filters- natural density filter—for long exposure shots that allow you to create movement in water & sky.
Trigger release—recommended for long exposure shots.
What to Bring
Linens are provided.
Bring sturdy shoes suitable for Mo-Ranch’s rocky, uneven terrain, casual clothing, a swimsuit and river shoes to enjoy the river.
Bring a light jacket/sweater, flashlight, insect repellent, water bottle, large brimmed sun hat and sunscreen.
Mo-Ranch is 90 miles one-way, or a 2-hour drive from the nearest airport (SAT), allow 3 hours travel/check-in time for departures. We recommend generally scheduling arriving flights before 3 p.m. and departing flights after 3 p.m. to be sure you do not miss any of your event.
If you are in need of shuttle service to Mo-Ranch, call Kars for Hire in Kerrville at (830) 890-8200 at least 15 days in advance to arrange transportation from San Antonio International Airport.